The all-star project Ronnie Montrose was working on prior to his death in 2012 is finally on its way to fans — and you can hear an exclusive premiere of the lead-off track, “Heavy Traffic,” above.
The posthumous LP, titled 10X10 and due in stores Sept. 29, was finished under the guidance of Styx bassist Ricky Phillips, who’d been working on the recordings alongside Montrose and drummer Eric Singer while the guitarist was still alive. Determined to see Montrose’s passion project to completion, Phillips has spent several years rounding out a set of songs he’s described as having “the fire and angst of a young rebel, but with some added wisdom and foresight voiced in his own unique language of ‘guitar-speak.’”
In keeping with the 10X10 concept, each track features lead vocals by a different singer, with the final track listing including contributions from a lineup that includes Sammy Hagar, Edgar Winter, ex-Grand Funk Railroad frontman Mark Farner and Styx’s Tommy Shaw, as well as musical cameos from a variety of other performers — including guitarists like Toto‘s Steve Lukather, Def Leppard‘s Phil Collen and Aerosmith‘s Brad Whitford.
10X10‘s first song sets the tone for what follows. “‘Heavy Traffic’ started off as our tip of the hat to the British band, Humble Pie,” says Phillips. “The singer, Eric Martin from Mr. Big, originally screamed ‘Ronnie!’ leading into the guitar solo, and one restless night it hit me. That’s how the record should start — and then Ronnie crushes it.”
10X10 is available to pre-order now. Look over the complete track listing below.
Ronnie Montrose, ’10X10′ Track Listing
1. “Heavy Traffic” Feat. Eric Martin & Dave Meniketti
2. “Love Is an Art” Feat. Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer
3. “Color Blind” Feat. Sammy Hagar & Steve Lukather
4. “Still Singin’ with the Band” Feat. Glenn Hughes, Phil Collen & Jimmy “Z” Zavala
5. “Strong Enough” Feat. Tommy Shaw
6. “Any Minute” Feat. Mark Farner & Ricky Phillips
7. “The Kingdom’s Come Undone” Feat. Ricky Phillips & Joe Bonamassa
8. “One Good Reason” Feat. Bruce Turgon & Brad Whitford
9. “Head On Straight” Feat. Davey Pattison & Marc Bonilla
10. “I’m Not Lying” Feat. Gregg Rolie, Tom Gimbel & Lawrence Gowan
The Top 200 Rock Songs of the ‘70s